Parents/Guardians, please click the links below for all your summer reading resources!
- West Haven Public Schools Anytime Learning Site
- Connecticut State Library
- iREAD's 2022 Summer Reading Program
Why is Summer Reading Important?
- When children select reading materials themselves and read for enjoyment, they receive the most gains in reading achievement, including better reading comprehension, writing style, vocabulary, spelling, and grammatical development.
- Children and teens tend to read more when adults in their lives encourage them to read, and also when they see those adults reading often themselves.
- Children that feel that reading is fun tend to read more often, so summer programs that help make reading enjoyable and social are most successful.
- Reading just 4 to 6 books over the summer has the potential to prevent a decline in reading achievement scores from the spring to the fall, so even small steps are very beneficial.
- Preventing summer slide is most effective when community organizations—including schools, public libraries, community centers, parent groups, social service agencies, and others—work together to encourage kids to read, make reading fun, and to reach families about the importance of reading over the summer.